Sunday, September 19, 2010

Make all Writing Poetic

The name of this class we are taking is "Contemporary American Poetry."
As students we should live up to this name by writing an original poem on our blog each week. As group members we can comment on these poems with positive criticism.

Now here is my poem of the week.

Zen, And the Art Of Longboarding

Since I can remember,
I have wanted to be able to fly.
Every night my dreams take me on a flight through the universe.
When I wake up,
the reality of gravity always brings me down.

Three years ago,
I found a way fly in my waking life.

I fly on my longboard.

When I step onto its Arched bamboo body,
My weight is in equilibrium between gravity,
and the flexibility of the longboard.
This flexibility provides an illusion of levitation that I crave.

All I need now is Smooth pavement,
With a varied incline.
Once the board and I hit a smooth road,
Together we become a Frictionless,
fearless,
ferocious force

No place provides such ideal conditions for longboarding as Central Park.
Its wide roads with immaculate tarmac,
Its winding pathways through serene gardens,
Which slope up and down making perfect flight paths.
Central park is already a magical place,
Central Park plus a loaded longboard equals a transcendental experience.

Whenever I get the chance,
I travel to New York City,
and forget about the public transportation.
Instead I longboard everywhere,
And plan my route around a scenic ride through Central Park.

Now that you understand how much I enjoy longboarding, I will describe to you the experience of scooting through central park.






I jump onto the board after it slaps the tarmac,
Instantly, gravity accelerates me into a new state of mind

The sharp carves I make feel like the beating of my wings.
Crowds are my turbulence, which I weave through.
As I zip by,
Their pointing and staring only take me higher.

I reach climax of my flight as I hug a turn at almost 40 mph,
judging by the cars that I am overtaking

The decent of my flight comes with a climbing hill.
As I slow down,
The whistling of the wind fades away into the bustling sounds of new york city.

Once again the struggle against gravity starts.
I kick, kick, kick up the hill till I reach the top.

Even though the push uphill is many times longer than the downhill ride,
Once I start down the
blur,
wind,
and the rumble of speed,
slows down my perception so that the quick drop feels longer than the push uphill.


Through longboarding,
my lifetime dream of flying has been met.
Although it is on of the most dangerous sports,
Longboarding will always be a thrill of mine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment