Sunday, September 26, 2010

Growing My Shoulders To Fit Chicago's




People have very opinionated views when it comes to Chicago. Some say the city is too cold and remote, while others say it is teaming with life and opportunity. As a college bound senior Chicago is important to me because it is home to the School of the Arts Institute of Chicago, known as (SAIC). Even though SAIC is recognized as one of the most influential art schools in the world, I found myself too intimidated by the tough reputation of Chicago to even think of applying there.

Last week, two major events changed that.

First, when I read Carl Sandburg's famous poem “Chicago” I found that the roughness came with an important appeal. Just as Sandburg wrote, “They tell me you are wicked and I believe them,” I also believed that Chicago is a wicked city. As the close of the poem nears, the redeeming factors of Chicago's wickedness are revealed.

Bragging and laughing that under his wrist is the pulse.
and under his ribs the heart of the people,
Laughing!
Laughing the stormy, husky, brawling laughter of
Youth, half-naked, sweating, proud to be Hog
Butcher, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with
Railroads and Freight Handler to the Nation.

Chicago is the heart of of American values. Since I am also a proud American, this poem struck a chord in me that made me start to think about Chicago in a more positive light.

Only two days after reading and discussing “Chicago,” Wyoming Seminary received a surprise visit from none other than an admissions representative from SAIC. He gave the most impressive presentation for a college I have ever seen. Not because he was very talented but because he had an infinite amount of amazing features to reveal about both SAIC and Chicago itself. Some of the most fascinating points he talked about were that SAIC is a museum school with the second largest Art museum in the US. Only the metropolitan museum of art tops it. SAIC has some of the most notable Alumni of any school I have seen. To name only a few Walt Disney, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Orson Welles all graduated from SAIC.

The representative was so impressed with my portfolio that he pre-accepted it for admission. He also assured me that I can get a hefty scholarship with a portfolio as strong as mine. The School of the Arts Institute of Chicago is now my first choice. This year I must work hard to grow my shoulders to fit in the “City of the Big Shoulders.”

Here is an interesting project by one on the students.


Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org
http://carl-sandburg.com/chicago.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VB1vA-UsI

No comments:

Post a Comment