Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Poem Inspired by Phish

I have been listening to Vermont Jam Band Phish since my older brother and father introduced them to me. I listen to the band daily and this poem was written while listening to their performance of the song 'Lenghthwise' directly followed by 'Maze.'




This is my poem:
This life is a maze,
left, right, straight, or back,
leave the pack.
Sometimes on the wrong path, it's okay....
turn around, and start again.

Music, a form of poetry conjures up many emotions that personally help me write. My favorite writer of music is Grateful Dead writer, Robert Hunter. Robert Hunter was born June 23, 1941 in California. Friends with Grateful Dead front man Jerry Garcia, Hunter has been involved with the band since it's early days. Hunter was heavily influenced by psychodelic drugs that were inspirations to many of his songs, including famous Grateful Dead songs such as China Cat Sunflower seen in the following video:


Other of Hunter's famous songs include, "Franklin's Tower," "Truckin," "Friend of the Devil" "Casey Jones," "Box of Rain," "Sugar Magnolia," "Playing in the Band" and finally, "Ripple."

No comments:

Post a Comment