Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's Not a Goodbye, It's a See Ya Later

So sad, my very last blog entry of the trimester. Over the last 12 weeks, studying and writing poetry every 7th bell has not only brought me happiness every day, but also challenged me intellectually in a way so much different than any other class. I've learned in poetry class that in order to be a good poet, the writer must be him/herself and have his/her own voice. To be honest, I was not too sure about taking poetry as my English elective before school started; I didn't know too much about writing poetry and wasn't too sure how it was going to go. As everyone performed their "What is Poetry #2" poems on friday, I was astonished to see how much everyone's poetry changed, including my own. At first, I thought poetry was about rhyming every line and keeping a solid beat to the poem. I found out that I was very wrong, as poetry is about expression, and in order to release one's expression, one must write whatever necessary into a poem to convey one's message. A truly amazing thought, in my opinion, and a thought I never dreamed I would think until I took this class.

The only thing I didn't/don't like about poetry is the fact that our class my very well be the last Contemporary Poetry class ever at Sem. Our teacher, Mrs. Lewis, does such a terrific job inspiring every single individual in the class that it seems almost unethical for the school to cancel such a class. I honestly think ever person who experiences Sem should also have the experience of Mrs. Lewis' class. After 14 long years at Sem, I can 100% say that this was my favorite and most fulfilling class I have ever taken!

So, after reflecting about the class, I guess this is my final paragraph. I entitled this post "It's Not a Goodbye, It's a See Ya Later" because I can honestly say that after this class, I do not think this is the last poetry I will ever write. Although I am moving onto more generic English classes the next two terms, my interests in English now lie in poetry. Hope you liked our blog, and see ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment